Kota Stone Flooring: An Insight into Outdoor Costing
Kota stone, originating from the Kota region in Rajasthan, India, has made a distinct mark in the world of construction materials. Renowned for its rugged texture and durable nature, this limestone variant is a top pick for outdoor flooring. But what’s the real cost of installing Kota stone flooring outdoors? Let’s delve deep.
Why Kota Stone for Outdoor Flooring?
Before we jump into the numbers, it’s worth understanding why Kota stone has become a prominent choice for exterior installations:
- Durability: The foremost reason is its robustness. Kota stone can weather tough outdoor conditions and lasts for decades.
- Natural Appearance: Its unique greenish-blue and brown shades blend seamlessly with natural landscapes, making it aesthetically pleasing.
- Safety: With its non-slippery surface, Kota stone is safer for wet or sloping exteriors compared to other glossy tiles or marbles.
- Resistance: Being naturally water-resistant, it fares well in areas with heavy rainfall.
Breaking Down the Cost:
- Rough Kota Stone: Generally priced between $2 to $4 per sq.ft.
- Polished Kota Stone: This can range from $4 to $8 per sq.ft, depending on the finish quality.
- Being a heavy material, transportation costs can significantly add to the price, especially if sourced from far-off regions.
- Labour Costs: Depending on the region and expertise, labor charges can vary. Typically, it can be anywhere between $2 to $5 per sq.ft.
- Additional Materials: Costs for adhesives, grouts, and sealants can add another $1 to $3 per sq.ft.
- While Kota stone requires minimal maintenance, periodic sealing (every 2-3 years) to protect against moisture and stains is recommended. This can incur an additional cost of $1 to $3 per sq.ft.
- Special cuts, designs, or patterns can increase the base cost by 20% to 30%.
Considering all the factors, the comprehensive cost of installing Kota stone flooring outdoors can range from $5 to $16 per sq.ft. This is a ballpark figure and can vary based on region, specific requirements, and unforeseen challenges.
Is the Investment Worth It?
Given the longevity and timeless beauty of Kota stone, many homeowners find the investment justifiable. When compared with other flooring options that may need frequent replacements or repairs, Kota stone, with its one-time installation, often proves cost-effective in the long run.
Choosing Kota stone for your outdoor flooring is an investment in both elegance and endurance. While the initial costs might seem steep, the longevity and minimal maintenance of the stone can lead to savings over time. Always consult multiple vendors, compare prices, and consider the complete installation and maintenance costs before making a decision.