Kota stone, with its fine-grained texture and inherent beauty, has become a preferred choice for flooring across the world. This hard, durable, and versatile natural stone is not only economical but also holds a high degree of shine and gloss. However, as with any natural stone, maintaining its lustre requires a certain degree of care. This guide will take you through the comprehensive process on how to make your Kota stone shine, keeping its natural beauty intact.
What is Kota Stone?
Kota stone is a type of fine-grained limestone that originates from the Kota region of India. The stone is known for its aesthetic appeal and its ability to take a high polish. It’s available in different shades, including blue, green, grey, and brown. The durability and easy availability of Kota stone make it a popular choice for both interior and exterior construction.
How to make kota stone shine
Maintaining the shine and lustre of Kota stone involves various steps, including cleaning, polishing, and sealing. Here is a step-by-step guide.
Step 1: Cleaning the Kota Stone
Regular and thorough cleaning is the first step towards maintaining the shine of your Kota stone. You can clean the Kota stone with a pH-neutral stone cleaner available in the market or a homemade cleaning solution.
- Prepare a cleaning solution by mixing a mild detergent in lukewarm water.
- Mop the surface of the stone with the cleaning solution.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water and let it dry.
Avoid using acidic or alkaline cleaners as they can dull the surface or cause discolouration.
Step 2: Removing Stains
If there are stains on the stone, you need to remove them before polishing.
- Identify the type of stain and use the appropriate method to remove it. For example, oil-based stains can be removed using a poultice, while organic stains can be removed using hydrogen peroxide.
- Apply the stain remover as per the instructions and allow it to sit for the recommended time.
- Rinse with clean water and dry the surface thoroughly.
Step 3: Polishing the Kota Stone
Polishing is the key step in enhancing the shine of Kota stone.
- Use a specialized stone polishing compound available in the market. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spread the compound evenly over the surface and buff using a low-speed polishing machine or a hand buffer. You can also use a soft cloth if a machine is not available.
- Wipe away any excess compound and allow the stone to dry.
Step 4: Sealing the Kota Stone
Sealing protects the stone from stains and maintains its shine for a longer period.
- Choose a quality stone sealant, which is appropriate for Kota stone.
- Apply the sealant evenly over the surface as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Allow the sealant to dry completely before using the area.
Maintaining the Shine of Kota Stone
- Regular cleaning: Use a soft cloth or mop and pH-neutral cleaner to remove dirt and dust from the surface.
- Avoid harsh cleaners: Acidic or abrasive cleaners can damage the shine of the stone. Always opt for gentle, stone-safe cleaners.
- Regular sealing: Depending on the usage and traffic, reseal the stone periodically to protect it from stains and maintain its shine.
Kota stone, with its inherent shine and elegance, adds a touch of sophistication to your space. Maintaining this shine might seem like a daunting task, but with the right approach and materials, it’s quite straightforward. Regular cleaning, timely stain removal, periodic polishing, and sealing are the keys to keeping your Kota stone floor shining like new. So, follow these steps and let your Kota stone floor impress everyone with its dazzling shine.